Gear Oil....again!

Personally, I think Redline and all those others are swell and may or may not be wonderful for our cars/trannies but I've never heard anyone thrilled with the difference between them and other stuff. I use Valvoline Extreme 85-90 Synthetic. It's made for extreme hot and cold temps and when I've had to start the car after it's been sitting in -10F temps, the gearbox does seem less like molasses. Got it at NAPA, reasonably priced.

Dan

John Gates <gatesj@mailblocks.com> wrote:
We went through this with the VR6 cars, horrible syncros in those.

The GL-4 has less or a different kind of additive package that doesn't
corrode the heck out of the syncros. GL-5 is made for separate final
drives, like diffs in rear wheel drive cars, where you get serious gear
scuffing just because of the way the hypoid gears are cut and work.
These need some serious extreme high pressure additives, heavy metals,
to really lube well, and there is only steel in there, no brass.

Yes, do not put GL-5 in your gearbox.

Now, I know Royal Purple is a pure synthetic, but I have read mixed
reports on both that and Redline, along with everything else. They may
claim it's good for GL-4 and GL-5 applications because they may think
that it lubricates GL-5 applications well enough without the heavy
additive package. Who knows? But if it says it's OK for GL-4 it
likely lacks the corrosive additives and therefore is fine.

John Gates
--
'85 Scirocco
'97 Jetta GLX