Aluminum Oil Pans on later VWs?

I was reading that the 'newer' VWs come with cast aluminum oil pans and
that they are a bolt on replacement for the stamped steel oil pans on
our cars.  Not much more details in the way of details in the text than
that.  Is anyone aware of what years and models the aluminum oil pans
started showing up on?  I had also read that the pans have a nice baffle
built in, again any experience with this?  The newest VW I have is a 91
DD Jetta and I know it still has the stamped steel pan.
Thanks, Rick.