16V no start

Hi,
    My 87 16V Scirocco got a new cap and rotor today. It started and ran fine when tested. My son took off. He went about 100 yards. Just died when he hit the clutch.
    I tried dry gas, ethanol, not methanol, to no avail. I checked the #1 plug and it was dry. The engine fired when given a shot of ether, obviously fuel related. I then checked for fuel at the fuel distributor, large spray. There was fuel everywhere until I got to the lines going to the injectors. Those were almost dry.
    What should I try next?
Thanks,
John