Baby, it's cold inside!

Jim,

It may work good now, and it may continue to work well, but those
little $10 vacuum pumps do not completely evacuate the system, leaving
traces of water vapor.  That combines with the 134a and turns into a
vicious acid (hydrocloric IIRC), and starts eating aluminum inside the
system.  What can happen is it will work great now but in a year or two
the system will look like swiss cheese.

Been there, done that.

This is the best place I have found so far with information, I remember
you could get a proper vane type vacuum pump that can pull you below 50
micron vaccum for around $150:

http://www.ackits.com/
http://www.ackits.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AMA&Product_Code=90059
http://www.autoacforum.com/
http://www.autoacforum.com/categories.cfm?catid=20
http://www.autoacforum.com/categories.cfm?catid=2

I remember hearing that trying to measure vacuum at the levels you need
for satisfactory evacuation is like trying to measure the thickness of
a piece of paper with a ruler, i.e. think of the ruler as an in/hg
vacuum gauge and the thickness of the paper the level you need to
achieve of vacuum.

The receiver/dryer should also be replaced, it contains a one-use
dessicant that absorbs any minute amount of water left in the system.
Of course this is before it combines and turns into acid, so it's just
part of the necessary safety steps...

John Gates
--
'97 Jetta GLX