fuel consumption AND cold start AND rough idle

  My '83 Scirocco 1.8L has been having a few problems lately.  It started
with hard starting when cold.  I checked the cold start valve, thermo time
switch, and aux air reulator, and they all appear to be working fine.

  Then, I started having an intermittent rough idle problem, where it would
drop down a few hundred rpm, then recover, then drop, recover, etc.  It runs
fine otherwise, it's only idle that's rough.

  AND THEN, I noticed my fuel mileage dropped way down -- from ~33mpg, to
23mpg.  I rechecked the cold start valve to make sure it's not leaking when
warm, and it doesn't appear to be.  I pulled the plugs to see if one of the
injectors is stuck open, but all four look the same -- electrode itself is
light milk-chocolately, with black soot on the rest of the plug.

  Any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this?  Could it be the fuel pump,
or warm-up regulator?  I checked the resistance across the warm-up
regulator, and got a good 16 ohms.  Could that cause all three of these
conditions?