Exhaust

You don't have to change, from the stock exhaust, to install a dual DP. All
pre-'82 A1's came stock with dual DP's and ~1 5/8" exhausts. To get the full
effect of a dual exhaust manifold, you'll need to get rid of the short stock
dual DP with flexpipe section, and get a TT downpipe, that goes all the way
to the cat, or the race/long DP that goes all the way to the cat-back
exhaust.

The TT exhausts will fit the race/long DP or the short TT CAT DP, and if you
don't have to pass a visual inspection, now would be the perfect time to do
away with the CAT. My VW's always pass the sniffer test without a cat, even
the 16V, but that might change with the 286 cam. ;)

Anyway, if you're not planning on swapping in a 16V, or an 2L 8V with crazy
cams in the near future, a 2" exhaust with a Borla muffler is the way to go.
It feels stronger off idle, sounds great, and it's quieter...

Peter
'81 1.7L, 286 cam, BMS Header, 2" ATS w/Borla
'79 1.8L 16V, TT race DP w/2" primaries, 2 1/4" TT SS Borla
'84 GTI 1.8L, 286 cam, TT Cat DP, 2" TT Borla
'83 GTI 3A, ATS header, soon to be Supersprint, 2 1/4" TT SS Borla
'83 GTI 1.8L, G-grind, TT CAT DP, 2" TT SS Borla
'83 Pickup 1.8L, Euro exhaust manifold, TT race DP, 2" TT SS Borla
'91 Passat S/W 2L16V, TT high-flow cat, 2 1/4" TT Borla
'90 Fox, 2" TT Superturbo/DM
http://thescirocco.com/

Please! Include the previous text in your reply...