cincy and ignition problem

On 2:42:44 pm 04/19/05 "Jim Ruffi" <sciroccos@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I don't get off that easy....already tried it....that was my first
> suspect...
> even hot-wired it to make sure.

My "first drive" in the headache this spring got me just clear of the
garage door, and then it died. But there had been a few issues with wonky
starting prior to that. In my case, I'd replaced the coil some time back,
and had wired it after installing it on the firewall, needing quite a bit
of force to seat the lower plug. Turns out the spacing on the two prongs
there (on the new coil) was wrong (too narrow) so the plug didn't seat
correctly. Cleaned and installed a different set of prongs, and that solved
it. So don't rule out odd connections on the coil.

And check that there IS a ground strap to the tranny from the frame. Try
jumpering that contact and see if she fires up. That will mimic a bad
ignition switch.

Cathy