cincy and ignition problem

BTW, when does the NE contingent usually depart for OH?  I was thinking of
leaving Friday, around lunchtime, but am I being unrealistic in thinking
that I could drive out there and set up a tent before it's too dark/late?

Hijack:

Plus, my Scirocco has a starting problem that might prevent me from taking
it!!

There's no spark until the starter *stops* cranking...I have to hope it
fires on that last revolution after I let the key off the start position or
it's prone to flooding.  Runs great otherwise.  This problem occurs only
when starting.

Bentley tests indicate an ignition control unit or coil.  The coil
resistance looks OK.
I pulled the fusebox and the car magically fired while it was dangling.  I
may just replace the box, but my testing that been inconclusive thus far and
I'd something a bit more solid before I start part-swapping.  Does anyone
have a more complete set of tests for the ICU than those offered in the
Bentley?  I really think it's a wiring gremlin, rather than an ICU....

Also, is someone interested in sending/loaning a test ICU to me?  I would
buy it at a reasonable price, but I first need to determine it faulty.

Jim