Horn problems

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 04:32:25PM -0400, Justin wrote:
> Starting a few days ago my horn decided it would honk any tmie I turn
> my steering wheel. The funny thing about this is that it has never
> worked when trying to press the buttons...
>
> As much as I like my car talking to other cars around, it's getting
> bothersome. I popped my head under the hood last night around dusk and
> couldn't see anything that resembled a horn... so where would I be
> able to find it? I just want to unplugged the horn, as it doesn't work
> in it's conventianal manner anyway.

The problem is not under the hood.  The problem is behind the steering
wheel.  Remove the 24mm steering wheel nut and pull the wheel off.  You
will see three screws which hold the steering column lockplate.  Most
likely, one of them has vibrated loose and is shorting against the
wheel.  While you're in there, clean off the contact rings and your horn
should work when you hit the buttons.

Dan

--
         EARTH