(non scirocco) Mechanic Lien

> Derrick floyd wrote:
>> Anyone on here know about Mechanic Lien's?  I need to put a lien on a
>> car.  My buddy gave it to me because he couldn't pay the bill.  I did
>> a title search and found out that he isn't the registered owner of the
>> car and the car was brought from a auction and he never retitled the
>> car and he currently doesn't have a title.  I sent the registered
>> owner two comfirm certitfied letters and she never called or wrote me
>> back.  so I'm going to have to put a lien on it to get the title.
>> anyone know how I would go about doing this?
>>
>> _____
>
> I did exactly what you did, but it only took ONE registered return
> receipt letter which was refused and returned to me.
>
> I took it to my local California DMV and registered the Karman Ghia in
> my name.
>
> Try the easiest part 1st, as in don't go up to the window and say "can
> I  do this without..." or "I know I haven yet...".
>
> If you pay fees and have due diligence paperwork you may not ave the
> problem you envision.
>
> Things are different if you have a contested ownership, of which I
> don't  think is the case here.

      Could you give a bit more details on how that works and exactly what
are the steps to do this mechanic lien thingie? There is a certain Jetski I
would like to do the same.  From its VIN I got an address (actually only a
P.O. box).  What should I write in the letter sent to the owner? If he does
not reply, what should I do when I walk to the DMV here?