New York Times Scirocco article

*By DAVID PUNER *

Published: April 15, 2005

 RIDING piggyback atop a flatbed truck, cloaked only by the translucent
dawn, a sunflower-yellow Scirocco recently arrived in Westmoreland County,
Pa., sending a 1970's ripple through the region. The '75 Volkswagen may not
have blown into town quite like the desert wind for which it was named, but
at least one driver out at 5:30 a.m. took note. "Some kid in a hot red Honda
pulled up beside the truck, and it looked like he was going to break his
neck the way he was staring at the car," said Trevor Hill, the Sirocco's new
owner. "Before the Hondas, these were big," he explained.

Mr. Hill, 34, acquired his Scirocco on eBay after placing a last-minute
$5,600 winning bid, then made an overnight trip to St. Louis to haul it
home. "The more I looked at it, the more I wanted it," said Mr. Hill, who
runs a garage specializing in Porsches and owns and operates Subway sandwich
franchises. He figures he has owned more than 100 Sciroccos and, at the time
of the eBay auction, had three (if you count the sandblasted 1975 carcass
leaning against a wall of his garage). But he couldn't resist the yellow
coupe. With its unblemished dashboard, a swinging-70's yellow plaid
interior, unworn pedal pads and a dealer-installed AM/FM/8-track player, he
said it was the most nearly period-perfect Scirocco he had ever seen. For
another $1,000 he plans to make it stock-perfect. "It's a first-year car,"
he said. "I've seen four of them in my life." He owns two of those four.

When the Scirocco arrived in American showrooms in 1975, it was a distinct
departure from VW's previous sports coupe, the rear-engine, rear-drive,
air-cooled Karmann Ghia. The Scirocco was a front-engine, front-drive,
water-cooled design. In North America, it was marketed as a car with German
engineering and Italian style - a nimble performer that didn't guzzle gas
and looked good. Designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, the Scirocco had stylish
quad headlights, a hatch and a wide-stance wedge shape. But the Scirocco was
never a big seller in the United States, with only about 230,000 sold from
1975 to 1988. (In the same period, more than 1.5 million Toyota Celicas hit
American roadways.) Still, the car has maintained a devoted following and
may be on its way to becoming a collector's car.

In 1975, the Scirocco, priced at about $5,000, was not inexpensive. Its
roomier econobox sibling, the Rabbit, also introduced in 1975, was cheaper
at $3,300. Unsurprisingly, the Rabbit had a bigger debut, selling 98,000
cars in the United States that year. Only 16,000 Sciroccos found buyers.

The first-generation Scirocco - officially designated the Mk1 - was sold in
the United States from 1975 to 1981 with few major changes. The next
generation, Mk2, was a few inches longer and had rectangular headlights, a
more powerful engine (including VW's first 16-valve as an option in 1986)
and softer lines. The Mk2 was available in the United States from 1982 to
1988.

First-generation Sciroccos were notorious rust buckets. Of the Sciroccos
sold in the United States, 150,000 were Mk1's and 80,000 were Mk2's, and it
is far easier to find examples of the latter still on the road. And though
Scirocco fans are devoted to the cars, they have yet to push prices into the
stratosphere. Today, a decent-running Scirocco can still be found for less
than $1,000. For $6,000 you can buy a pristine one, even an Mk1 if you're
patient and lucky.

"I don't think people see these cars as collectible yet," said Brett Van
Sprewenburg, 36, who operates Scirocco.org <http://scirocco.org/>, a
comprehensive enthusiast Web site, and is a software engineer for Eastman
Kodak in Virginia. He added, "Cars are not a good investment unless you're
buying Ferraris."

Scirocco enthusiasts admire both generations. "If you're a Scirocco head,
you tend to like the Series 1, but the lack of Scirocco 1's brings you right
into the Scirocco 2, which has close to the same feel," said Eric Ryzerski,
33, who owns a swimming pool company in Bedford Hills, N.Y.

That distinctive feel has a lot to do with its weight. "They're very small
cars by today's standards," Mr. Van Sprewenburg said. Indeed, a Scirocco Mk1
is almost 20 inches shorter than one of today's smaller cars, the 2005 Honda
Civic Coupe.
 Page 2 of 2)

 Mr. Van Sprewenburg has owned a dozen of the cars over the years. "They
look like little go-karts," he said. Driving a Scirocco, regardless of
model, he said, is an experience that connects a driver with the road. "The
car really talks to you," he said.

It speaks to nostalgia as well. "Guys generally like cars that came out when
they were in high school," said Mr. Ryzerski, who has owned six Sciroccos
(two Mk1's and four Mk2's) and has had his current Scirocco, a 1988 16-valve
- the last of the Mohegans, since 1991, when he was in college. He said that
over the years he had spent easily $50,000 on the car. "The bottom line is
you spend a lot of money on it, even if it's in perfect condition when you
buy it," he said. "And it won't be worth more."

Also the owner of a 1988 16-valve, Mr. Van Sprewenburg got his first
Scirocco, a 1978, when he was 17 years old. "I was bit," he said. "This car
is unique, unusual, cheap to run, easy to maintain and fast. Remember, the
Mustang in the day was a four-cylinder. The American cars were big and slow.
The Sciroccos were light and could turn," he said. "Did I mention that it
was fast?" A stock 16-valve Scirocco had a top speed of 124 miles an hour.

FUN-TO-DRIVE, inexpensive sports cars became increasingly plentiful in the
80's, and the Scirocco's rising price put it at a disadvantage. "The
downfall of the Scirocco," Mr. Van Sprewenburg said, "is they were too
expensive. No one could reconcile paying so much for a Volkswagen." The
price on a loaded 1988 16-valve had grown to around $18,000 - with leather
seats, a sunroof, air-conditioning and other options, the Scirocco had
become weighed down with creature comforts that some purists considered
un-Scirocco. Volkswagen, which had continued to sell the car in other
markets, discontinued it after the 1992 model year. Over its entire run,
about 800,000 Sciroccos were sold worldwide.

With time, Trevor Hill said, Scirocco values will increase significantly,
"when people who grew up with these cars will have expendable money and want
to buy them." Mr. Hill added, however, that there would always be a limit on
how much someone would pay for a Scirocco. "Volkswagens are nice, but if you
want the really cool Volkswagen," he said, "you buy a Porsche."

Sitting behind the wheel of the yellow Scirocco inside his shop, wearing a
Volkswagen baseball hat, Mr. Hill looked as if he could still be in high
school as he fired up his new car. "It revs up pretty good," he said
matter-of-factly, filling the room with fumes. "My wife thinks I'm nuts," he
said with a trace of a grin. "She hates the fact that I have so many cars.
She says, 'How many cars do you need?' I say, 'As many as I can get!' "