OT/OFT Batteries and Pennies

--- Brian Haygood <haygood@myway.com> wrote:
> The outer copper jacket of the penny would have to go first.  Copper is above lead and below
> steel in the galvanic series, so the copper would corrode before the lead terminal, but not
> before the steel cables.  Zinc is up higher on the list than any of these, but with the copper
> jacket around it, would it corrode first?  Maybe it would?

Just for kicks, I have one old copper penny and one newer zinc penny affixed to the top of the
battery on my DD.  Before installing the zinc penny, I scraped the copper off of ol' Abe.  As for
how fast they corrode and which corrodes first, I'll keep you posted someday when I look at the
battery again.

This is such fun, ain't it?