Looking at a Passat....any tips?

> From: "doubt@inwave.com" <doubt@inwave.com>
> Date: 2005/04/03 Sun PM 03:39:30 EDT
> To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: Looking at a Passat....any tips?

 I asked about the timing belt, the dealer didn't know
> if/when it was changed, but he would do it before we bought it if we
> wanted him to.
> TIA!
> Nate

Just for the sake of clarity, there is no timing belt on that car.  There is however a pair of timing chains and all their related guides.  They tend to begin to make noise anywhere for 80K to 120K miles.  They can break, and this is an interferrence engine, so I would make sure that he does follow through and not weasel-out under the excuse of 'There is no timing chain, so....'  This job is a major PITA, requiring engine removal.  If you are really interested in the car, I might suggest that if they try to get out of installing it for you as part of the deal, you offer to pay for parts.  I found a place that has a kit for 400.00 plus shipping...

HTH

David

'83 GTI, Daily Driver...
'87 16V, parts car