From: scirocco-l-bounces+dagnamit=gmail.com@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+dagnamit=gmail.com@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of
David L. Winchell, II
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 5:33 PM
To: Scirocco List
Cc: VWC@vintagewatercooleds.com
Subject: Power Steering Question

Need some educated help with this one.

The scenario:  16V 2.0L with power steering.

The Problem:  The other day I was rectifying a radiator problem via a
beautiful new radiator and hoses from the potter people.  I got things all
back together and finally drove one of the roccs again (after two weeks with
all three out of commission.) I was elated to drive one of the beloved cars,
when I started to notice the power steering pump making the dreaded buzz
when low on fluid.  I make it home and notice that all the fluid has been
drained.  That was Monday.  I finally took some time today to get under
there and look for the culprit.  I found that the pressure line (looked in
me Bentley to find the right label for the line) had worn a nice little hole
in from hitting the edge of the dual passat fan that I added at the same
time as the new radiator and hoses.

Here is the current question:  I used a coupler from one of my compressor
kits to repair the line.  I found that when I cut the line to splice in the
coupler there is a metal flex tube that runs inside.  I cut this line and
removed it as it does not appear to be attached on either end. Now, will
this fix stand up to the pressure of the system?  Bentley states that the
pressure of this line is from a little over 1000 psi to just over 1100 psi.
No that is not a misquote.  What say ye from the list?  Any experiences?

Dave

David L. Winchell, II
DavidWinchell2@sprynet.com
87 2.0L 16V Scirocco