Looking at a Passat....any tips?

Stopped and looked at a '96 Passat GLX (VR6 baby!!)
Looks to be in very nice shape, automatic, some small blemishes on the
exterior, nothing major.  96k on the clock, started right up, quiet,
purred like a kitten. Didn't have time to drive it (yet), but we will
next week.  I asked about the timing belt, the dealer didn't know
if/when it was changed, but he would do it before we bought it if we
wanted him to.  He's asking $4750, and from the research I've done
online it seems like a very decent price.
Anybody out there with some been there/done thats, tips, things to look
out for?  I have the VIN if anyone'd like to run it for me....

TIA!
Nate