Ignition switch install question

Okay, I have my steering column all apart, and am at the "Installation is
reverse of removal" part. Only glitch is the housing (the part with pinch
bolt) won't slide over the steering shaft far enough. (and don't suggest
vaseline...)
Anyway, I'd like to get it bolted back together tonight, what am I
missing? It seems to be catching on something. The pinch bolt part is just
engaging the piece of metal it should slide over, so it's lining up
properly there. This is in the '79 if it makes any difference. Is it the
column lock? Anyway, whatever, what's the trick? Bentley doesn't seem to
hold the answer...

Cathy
1987 2L 16V Scirocco - the Silver Headache
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V - Klaus- sounds like 0.33 of a Chevelle
"The light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train"