coil or ignition module?

Hey all,

Ran into a problem with "The Project", it won't start, won't crank. When
I turn the ignition to "on" the voltage meter goes to about 4.5V, it
steadily increases to about 5.5V then drops to 4.5V again. At the
"start" position the voltage just goes to zero as there isn't enough
voltage to turn the starter at that point. If I disconnect the + side of
the coil I get a good 12.8V on the gauge at the "on" position, ditto
with the module disconnected.

How can I test the coil? or how can I test the module? Oh, the battery
is good, I even have a battery charger/starter hooked up and it does the
same.

TIA,

TomC
'79 "The Project" Scirocco
http://www.spuduglyracing.com
Now with improved all browser friendly photo album.