ungr8ful cars

Well, another race has come and gone without the 16V. Recall it had
toasted its clutch, and was out of commission for a while over stupid
stuff. Anyway, all looked good, but the shifting wasn't quite perfect. I
likely realigned the engine when I did the clutch, there's a lot less
vibrationn than preclutch.

Anyway, the track opens at 3, and Denny and I decide to adjust the linkage
at 2:30. I get it to where it's tough getting into first, but the rest are
good, so off we go. So we get to the track, Denny puts the slicks on and
THEN informs me he can't get it into first. This car doesn't jack up
nicely on slicks, ad I cant get the jackstand where I want it, but under I
go, muttering things under my breath. I have my own car/ time trials to
deal with eh? Mess with it, take it for a run, no better. Up again, this
time it's missing first and second, okay, turn it the opposite way next
time. I'm like 1/8th mile from where Dennis and the jack are when the
shaft slides out, stuck in third. By now the air is blue, my "beloved" (or
"hon" for those of you that know the code) is clearly in view, staring
into space. Of course I can't push the car, it's in gear. No problem says
I, go out and pull the lever, and enlist a kind fellow to push it back.
Nothing like a good workout.

Off home in Klaus to get another wrench, and the Mazda for Denny to race,
back to the track, and ended up limping it home on the new clutch, in
third and up. Once it was rolling, you can imagine the abuse eh? This car
is just plain spiteful. After all the work that's gone into it in the last
month, to be grounded over one stupid pinch bolt is just annoying beyond
words. I won't even comment on the helpful comments from the spouse. And
the fact that I can shift it where he somehow is unable to.

Klaus of course, was his sunny self, too bad the track got so cold I
couldn't get him to stick to it.

Well, gotta go, some Cabby crisis.

On the good? I got around to steam cleaning the interiors of both Roccs
today. They were filthy!

Sorry to whine, I'd give you cheese if you were here. Good cheese too.

Cathy
1987 2L 16V Scirocco - the Silver Headache
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V - Klaus- sounds like 0.33 of a Chevelle
"The light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train"