From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of David Winchell
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 12:31 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: What the heck is going on? Bearing or CV Joint?

Ok,  I have been driving with what I thought was a bad front wheel
bearing for a couple of weeks. I bought the TT tool from peter and
picked up a couple of bearings at the same time.

Yesterday I finally got the time to throw the rocc in the air and work
on the bearings,  I got part way through and realized that my gear
puller was not going to get the inner race off the hub, done for the
night.  I went bright and early to advance auto to pick up a better
puller... No such luck.

Resort to grinding the puppy off...  Get out the Die Grinder and an
hour later and I got it off.

Bandage the cuts and get back under the car. get the new bearing
pressed in, press the hub back on and, Oh NO!!!!!!!  I look under the
car and realize that the inner CV boot is toast.  I just had these
rebuilt when Al did the 2.0L swap just before Cincy.  If I were a
swearing man I could have put together an Anson style sting of
explicatives worthy of conversation on Al's Sub.

I get the car put back together and the same noise is present as
before that I  was convinced was a bad bearing.

Would a bad inner CV joint have the same characteristics as a bad
bearing?  Noise once load is removed from the drive train? consistent
with speed of vehicle? Decrease on turns opposite side of bad cv
joint?

Any help would be great...  Guess this is what I get for trying to do
something on my own with out having to take the car to Al and ask what
is going on....  Sorry, Al, Should have called you first....

TIA for you help,

Dave

--
David L. Winchell, II