Has anyone replaced the emergency brake cable on a MK 1 ?

 Since it is a MK1, I'll say it is for drum brakes you are asking.

You might as well replace the brake shoes if they are not new, and get a
spring kit for the rear brakes as well. This is especially important if the
brake shoes are not worn evenly.

Just get both wheels up in the air, remove the wheels and drums, and you
will see how the brake cables just clip into a lever.

If you are not too familiar with drum brakes, just do one side at a time.

Take apart, and reassemble with new parts. Easy ain't it?

Brake spring pliers are very usefull:
<<http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=19>>

And so is a brake clip tool:
<<http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=839>>

Final adjustment is with both wheels back in but still in the air. Crank
your parking brake three clicks, and adjust so that the wheels stop turning.
Then release the parking brake lever and the wheels should spin freely.

Cheers.

Marc
'83 Scirocco 4WDB now