[SPAM] Re: bigass diesel engine

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:48:43 -0500
Spewey <spewey@comcast.net> wrote:

> Dan Bubb wrote:
>
> > Anybody wonder how they can measure 5,608,312 lb/ft ??
>
> Having worked in the metrology world, I decided to throw this one to
> the pros at http://www.mts.com
>
> Here's the exchange:
>
> I wrote:
>
> > Dear sirs,
> >
> > Please can you tell me how one would go about measuring the torque
> > of the world's largest diesel engines?  (car club bar-bet-style
> > answer ok) <link>

The torque produced by the engine has an equal and opposite force exerted on the motor mounts, up on one side and down on the other. Assuming the engine is mounted on flexible mountings of which you knew the characteristics, you could measure the torque by measuring how much they deflected.

--Andrew