A1 to MKIV and back

In a message dated 9/15/2004 2:53:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bgsterling@earthlink.net writes:

> I'll agree here.  My wife and I just traded in our '02 GTI VR6.  It was
> everything that my 'Roc isn't:  powerful and fast (201hp and 6sp), quiet,
> roomy, and comfortable.  It was also heavy, boring, and lacked character.
> Driving the 16v around our country roads makes me smile as I time the
> downshifts, race the engine, and hit the corner hard, yet flat.  The GTI was
> uninspiring as it rolled the body and pushed the front end on the same
> roads.  It drove well and was great for long trips, but it doesn't engage
> the driver the same way the 'Roc does.  True, I could have modded it to add
> some character, but that would have voided the warranty that we seemed to be
> using regularly.
>
> -Brad
> '86 Scirocco 16v

I don't agree entirely, but because mine is a 1.8t 20ae, the front end is
slightly lighter and it came with a lowered/stiffer suspension, it isn't exactly
heavy and boring, but it still doesn't have that "feel" that the rocc has.
Fortunately {knock on wood} I haven't had to invoke my warranty yet.  But after
suffcient time, I'm sure I'll be looking at turbo upgrade / chip fun. Since I
hope to have the Gti for a looong time, then it will be like getting another
new car with more power all over again.  But the rocc will ALWAYS take top
priority as far as maintenance, mods, etc go.  Just incase you guys start to think
I might be heading to the dark side.....   Anyone that's met me at shows has
gotta know I love my Rocc.
                                         D.