Larry, I mis-spoke (Notching the piston for power)

I have to agree with Lars, You would need smooth air flow over the wings of an aircraft otherwise it would create drag and affect the lift on the aircraft. All aircraft have some kind of damage on them, the more dimples on the fuselage the harder it is to control the flight.

But again we're dealing with something completely different than an airplane. VW's are pennies compared to planes.

Lars, Rime Ice?

Tonee

Lars Bruchmann <pilotlars@yahoo.com> wrote:
i have never heard of hail-damaged aircraft flying
faster, except maybe for the pilots trying to get the
aircraft to the ground before it is destroyed
completely. modern aircraft have super-critical wing
and fuselage shapes, the boundry layer is extremely
close to the surface. dimples would not help.
the dimples in a golf ball create an 'artificial
boundry layer' which lets the ball fly farther.
aircraft have VGs (vortex generaters), strakes and
fences on wing surfaces to do the same thing.
a dirty aircraft will not fly as fast, since the dirt
actually raises the boundry layer, and creates drag.
a wet aircraft will not fly as fast either. ice is
the worst, there is a type of ice that forms, which is
kinda dimpled, and it is really bad news. so, as far
as i'm concerned, dimples are bad for aircraft. but
they could be great for indian cars! :-)