Larry, I mis-spoke (Notching the piston for power)

Why do we care how fast the intake air travels "across the piston"?  Once
it's inside the combustion chamber, it's a moot point, since the old-tech
design of our engines is not of the 'high-swirl' type anyway.
As usual, I'm a bit skeptical of stuff like this....but, when I hear of
Roush, or Yates, or Lingenfelter dimpling their pistons I will reverse my
postion.
:)
Larry

>   What I am suggesting is putting dimples in the piston face, not the
perimeter...  Air at speed does not do well with 90 degree, much less 180
degree changes of direction.  These dimples, or pockets of air, create a
cushion of air that acts as a buffer.  As the air travels over the surface
of something, the air is slowed by the difference in speed of the two.  The
pockets acts a buffers in this regard, allowing the air to travel more
quickly across the surface.

> I tried to find something via Google, about jetliners with hail damage
actually flying faster, but could turn up nothing...  You have seen the
commercial for Lexus, haven't you?  I might find more if I looked at golf
ball history, I don't know...  What I do know is that this works...  :-)