From: Dan [mailto:dan@angband.org]
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 11:29 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: bigass diesel engine

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 09:51:46AM -0700, Ben Carter wrote:

> What I wondered was, what would happen if they took it up past 102
rpm?
> Would it fly apart and take out everything within a mile or two or
> just keep producing more power. Sucker must be awfully loud too.

I know the answer to that one... thanks to a thermodynamics of
propulsion
course I took years ago. Once the fuel is injected and ignition occurs,

it takes a finite ammount of time for the flame to spread from the point
of ignition to the boundary of the combustion chamber. If you are
running
at high RPM with a large diameter piston, the piston may be near the
bottom of the stroke by the time the flamefront reaches it's maximum
spread. So basically, you're burning a lot of fuel and not getting any
additional power out of it, because the piston has reached it's
maximum travel already. This thing has a piston diameter of over 3
feet, so it operates most efficiently at a lower RPM.

Dan

--
Life in a box is better than no life at all, I expect. You'd have a
chance

-- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead