Piston coating... are there any ceramic folks out there

> From: Brian <brianm@earendel.org>
> Date: 2004/09/09 Thu PM 03:14:22 EDT
> To: Larry Fry <rocco16@sbcglobal.net>
> CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> Subject: Re: Piston coating... are there any ceramic folks out there
>

> any idea how much it cost?
> were going to have to clearance the pistions for intake valve #2 on the
> 20v and it would be nice to hav e them coated afterwards.
> Brian

You may have been speaking to Larry directly, so forgive me if I offer unwelcome tidbits...  :-)

I called Performance Coatings here in OKC, the fella that started this company worked under HPC also here in OKC...  HPC was one of the forerunners of this technology...  Anyways, I asked how much, and he said 16.00 per piston for the thermal barrier (silver-colored ceramic coating).  This is just on the crown face only...  If you are interested in the non-stick coating on the piston skirts also, that makes the price 25.00 each (for both coatings)...  I have been meaning to ask him for a few months the cost of coating exhaust systems...  Turns out it is only 12.50 a foot, inside and out, well worth the expense, and more functional than exhaust (header) wrap...

HTH

David