[OT] Anyone with VOIP experience?

Calimus wrote:

>If you game on-line, use of the phone may degrade playability a bit.  I
>haven't looked to see what bit rates vonage's services use, so I can't say
>for sure it will actually impact this.
I can download at 2MB per second and still have a good line.

>The other is the consistancy of your broadband provider.  If you have
>frequint outages, then that means the phone is down as well.  Once again, I
>haven't looked at vonages services very closely at all, they may have a
>service that forwards to a cell phone incase the base home phone can't be
>reached.
Call forwarding and an internet based voice mail system that seems to work!

>Another thing that popped into my head (and maybe Julie can speak about
>this
>since she says she has it) is that if some of the routers in between you an
>vonage are a bit slow, you may get the same garble, echo, etc. as you might
>find on a cell phone when your in a crappy coverage spot.

Nope No porblems...

>Basicly I think the VoIP is a great thing, and I know Vonage will allow you
>to pick just about any number you want, meaning that if all the long
>distance calls you ever make are to one area, you can get a number for that
>area and the calls will be considered local, however, the draw back is that
>your local friends will have to dial a long distance number.  So it's kinda
>50/50.  Look into it a bit, I'm sure you will find it suitable.  Oh and I
>know what having one the "Bells" is like, I have good ole' Maw Bell (read
>Southern Bell) and I think I may be looking at VoIP as an option as well
>since their basic line w/call waiting and no LD is costing me damn near $40
>a month.

I have a local number and can get a number any where in the service area (US
& Can) so that loved ones (read siblings/children) can "Call home" via a
local number for an extra $5 per month. Not bad!