Mk1 speedometer woes and solution!

I wanted to share with the list what I learned over the past few days with my
77 Mk1 Scirocco. First the symptoms:

Speedometer did not work. When driving off from a stop, the needle would
immediately take off and go from the 10 mph position all the way around the clock
and pin itself at the 6 o'clock position until I would drive the car in
reverse and it would come back to 10 mph (rest). I took the speedometer cluster out
and took things apart. There is a spring that was broken behind the needle. I
pirated one from a later model Rabbit cluster. Be most careful not to distort
the spring. It installs the same way it came out. Patience are the key. The
speedometer now works, but the odometer does not turn. Back to the drawing
board. This is a VDO speedometer. I threw a Motometer in and it works fine for now.

In addition, my gas and temperature gauges did not work at all. I did some
research and found out that the voltage stabilizer on the back of the cluster
could be suspect if both gauges do not register. As it turns out, the printed
circuit board had a 1/4 inch of circuitry missing (melted away?). I soldered in
a jumper and all is well. FYI, it seems that voltage stabilizer (looks like a
transistor with three prongs and a heat sink) came out in 1977 and seems to be
compatible all the way through the A2 clusters. If any questions, just check
the numbers on it (TCA 700).

Lastly, not cluster related, but electrical. I had one headlight working and
then on the other side, just one highbeam. If you are missing 12v at the
headlights, check the fuses and or replace with new ones. There are 4 in a row on
the left hand side 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the fuse box. My four looked fine but upon
further inspection, they were corroded. The new ceramic fuses (8A) did the
trick!

Thanks,

Jim 77 Scirocco Stage I
http://members.aol.com/jlpawlicki