Boring a 3a

Dimensionally, the 3A is the same as the 9A (2L16v). The ultra-max has been
considered to be 84.5 w/ 84.0 considered to be the safest, IIRC.

If you have intentions of ever having to bore it out again in the future, don't
go beyond 83.5. I believe pistons can be custom made by JE to the 0.25mm, so
that would give two future bores (83.75 and 84.0). If you need to more than two
bores over the engine's natural life, then you shouldn't be playing with them
in the first place!!  :)

HTH, JT

> Got my block measured by my cousin (a machinist) using an inside micrometer
>  today.  The measurements seemed ok, but upon further inspection we saw
> that  cylinder number 4 was pitting.
>
> http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/566365_41_full.jpg
>
> Then, what we thought was the carbon ring, was actually the real diameter
> of  the cylinder wall...
>
> http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/566365_42_full.jpg
>
> Is it safe to bore the 3a out with it having thin cylinder walls?   If it
> is, what is the most I can bore it out to?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bryan
> Fort McMurray, AB
> 81 Volkswagen Scirocco

> Powerful Parental Controls Let your child discover the best the Internet
> has  to offer.
> http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-
ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_
Taglines