Intake Header

You mean like tuning the length of the intake runners?  Because yes, that
does help, similar to scavenging as you've said.  Do you have some sort of
design in mind?  If you're interested in making a really good intake system
without doing any ridiculous physics, look at existing designs.  First
things that come to mind for me (I'm a Bimmer guy) are the Euro S50 engine,
S14 (esp the Carbon manis for their race cars), and Dinan Z8 intake systems.

Some reading material:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=helmholtz+equation+intake+manifold&btnG=Search
Vortex also has several threads having to do with the helmholtz principle
and intake systems.
I skimmed through the first few links there and they look pretty useful.
I'm working with wave physics right now in school, and most of the math is
barely beyond the level of a good college level physics 1 course.  Waves and
fluid dynamics are responsible for the "scavenging" effect you're looking
for.  The scavenging comes from waves, though, which only produce the right
effect at or very near certain frequencies, which is why it will be most
effective in a narrow RPM band.  Some more modern engines have variable
length intake runners (along with the variable valves and such) to optimize
for several different RPMs.
I've also heard that polishing the inside of intake runners is not a good
idea because a rough surface actually creates better flow.  I suppose that
doesn't include the area right up at the valves since polishing is so
popular there, but that might be something to look into as well.

-Grant-
Annapolis, MD/Louisville, KY
1980 in storage :(