Momentary mumble.

While not as labor intensive a job, you sound like me here at my job...

A lady called last week and said, "I have a 96 Jetta, and we just put some P/S fluid in it, and it is still moaning...  How much is a pump?"  I replied, "Well, what kind of P/S fluid did you put in?"  She asks her boyfriend, "Lucas."  "I'm sorry, I should say what color..."  She asks again, "Red"...  "Okay,"  I replied, "that is the cause for the whine there.  You need to use the green P/S fluid we sell here- "Listen, will you just tell me the fucking price of the goddamned P/S pump?!  Every time I call you fucking people, you tell me I put the wrong fucking color this or that in it. Just tell me the price of the fuking pump!"  Now I am suprised I did not hang up on her, or scream back.  Instead I said, "Ma'am, you do realize that I am on the learning curve with this, don't you?  And you also realize that I am trying to help you?"  "Just tell me the price of---"  "Alright, hold on..."  Boyfriend comes on the phone, sounds like a real mouth-breather, "Yeah, how much is the pump?" He mutters in between exchanges..."Hold on sport."   Here is where poetic justice comes in.  "Yes, that pump is 438.62, exhchange..."  "438.62?  Okay, thanks.."

I can't ever remember bitching someone out that I did not know, ever.  And unfortunately it happens about once every two weeks here...

David   <------  Suffering burnout

> From: "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>
> Date: 2004/11/18 Thu AM 08:02:48 EST
> To: <fahrvegnugen@cox.net>,  <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: Re: Momentary mumble.
>
> Obviously not.
> Either it was somebody in a difficult situation where a little help could go a long way or it was
> somebody that had some performance plans that would not be realized without my help (typically due
> to financial issues) and I had a technical interest in participating in the performance upgrade. (or
> just convinced myself that it was a really easy job that could be done so quickly it didn't matter!)
> In most cases the owner participated, either a lot or a little.
> Doesn't mean it hasn't been a lot of work.
> Just means that in general, I'm a sucker. Somebody needs it and I pretty much have the means to do
> it.
> In the end when everybody drives their car away, I'm not sure that all the work has benefited me
> very much.

Chrome may make it bling, but it don't make the engine sing...