further (fuel delivery) weirdness

Ok I'm stumped again.
I returned the non-functioning, week-old new fuel booster pump and got
a new-new one.  It appears to work fine and hums along quietly with no
drama with the ignition on but the car still won't start.  Jumpering
the fuel pump relay causes the main fuel pump to make pleasant sounds
as well.  Squirting starting fluid into any part of the intake gets the
car running for about 20 seconds so it still appears to be a fuel
delivery issue.  On a hunch, I pulled off the fuel filter, duct taped a
mason jar to the free fuel line and attempted to start it for about 10
sec....and NO FUEL collected in the jar.  Either my 'mason jar'
troubleshooting concept is flawed or something is blocking the line
between the fuel pump and the filter.  Other than the accumulator
(which I don't think is capable), I don't know of anything that could
cause this.

This is just crazy and, of course, my ex-shop continues to inform me I
just need to dump the fuel injection and go with the carb.