AC vs. Windows

> Just watched Mythbusters.  Although the computer told them that AC was
> more economical than running with windows down, when they did the
> test, the results were the other way.   Two vehicles, each with 5
> gallons of gas.  Running around a track at same time at 45mph.  One
> windows up, AC on full; other windows down, no AC.  AC car ran out of
> gas first.
>
> So, in retrospect, I've been saving gas all these years.

i watched that episode, and i wasnt impressed at all. any real scientist
must have been laughing out loud watching that show. in the computer tests,
they used the same vehicle for both tests, which were done very close with
no interruption. this was good, though there were a few variables present
(warm-up enrichment, etc). in the second test, they brought in a completely
seperate car, which adds a completely new variable to the test. to verify
those results, they should have at least redid the test - swapping which
vehicle ran a/c / windows down. i'd bet the same one runs out of gas first.
the second test being run at 45 vs. 55 further complicates things. it could
be possible for the windows to outweigh the a/c only at >= 55 mph.

Al