Was Re: RE: pics of my GTI(now words)

I had some doubts about this answer and checked out the site mentioned by
Mike,
For all interested:  http://www.word-detective.com/
http://www.word-detective.com/back-s.html#yards
and of course this is listed, along with Julie's answer.  There
are a few others that sound good, like yards of beer drunk by
new British sailors, or the author's favorite, the capacity of early
cement trucks(which seems most logical to me).  Unless 9 yds was
the total capacity of all machine guns combined on certain model of
aircraft I don't see this.  If you ever see the footage of those guns
being loaded or have seen the capacties listed in books, they didn't
hold all that much ammo.  One machine gun definately did not carry
9 yds.  Plus with so many different aircraft, with different guns and
available space to store ammo it seems unlikely.  As in, a P-51 more
than likely wouldn't carry the same amount as an F-4u, as a P-38.

John