fixing up old Euro bumpers

> Hi Kids,
>
> I just bought some used Euro-bumpers for my '88 16V.  I wanted to get
> them painted, as one of them has some significant fading.
>
> Problem is, the shop is telling me that they need to sand the bumpers
> down for the paint to stick.  Doing so would basically remove the
> plastic coating and would alter the appearance noticeably.

Most mk2 scirocco bumps I have seen are match painted to the car...so
these are already painted a colour that matches your car or are these ones
just the shiny black plastic type like the mk1's? (which now looks grey
and flat)
If they're just the black plastic variety and unpainted and you want em to
look nice, break out the kiwi black shoe polish liquid (in the bottle with
a built in sponge applicator)...I did this to the small bumpers on my mk2
jetta and they now look brand new and it cost me $6 CDN and a couple hours
of my time.  the stuff should be available at any drug store or show
repair.
It looks so good I'm going to do the palstic arches on my mk1 jetta next
(same bottle will do 2 cars easy).  Just make sure the trim is VERY clean
(I scrubbed mine down with some simple green full strength) and do 2 coats
(by the time you do the whole car, its dried and you can apply another
coat, use the sponge applicator to get the coats even.
hth

sandor
81 S
83 Jetta