Name that problem!

I have a feeling that tube snapped a long time ago, as there is a ring of rust where the weld has scrapped against the firewall. When I tested the cable, the tube stayed put, so while it's probably a problem, it is not THE problem.

I hope it's not a lever in the tranny, I was counting on selling the tranny if it wasn't worth fixing the car since it's a 4k with perfect meshing synchros.

Dan

Patrick Bureau <longcoeur@yahoo.com> wrote:
the tube in question that commonly snapps from the
pedal assembly will indeed sink past the firewall and
cause you to not have a clutch, I would sugest pulling
thecable out and using a washer to prevent the tube
from passing thru the firewall

its that or the level arm in teh tranny has snapped
and you need to take the tranny apart to fix it

--- Dan Smith wrote:
> I was delivering in the 84 mk2 the other day when
> there was a loud snap and the clutch pedal fell to
> the floor. That was the only noise, I popped it into
> neutral and coasted it to a parking lot with no
> problem. I figured it was a broken clutch cable but
> when I removed the cable yesterday, it was fine. The
> little tube that goes from the firewall into the
> engine bay that holds the cable in place had snapped
> it's weld, but it looks like that happened awhile
> ago. I replaced the clutch cable with a different
> one and tried to remove as much freeplay as
> possible, but the pedal stills goes down halfway
> before meeting only slight resistance. The clutch
> lever on the tranny does move it's seemingly full
> range of motion. I haven't been able to start it and
> see what happens as for whatever reason the starter
> has decided it doesn't want to do anything.
>
> Might as well ask about the starter too, now that I
> think about it. Car gets full power, idiot lights
> come on like when you have the key in run but the
> car isn't running. In the start position, there is a
> clicking sound that sounds exactly like when you
> have a blinker on. Starter doesn't even try.
> Absolute zip from it, and it was fine before the
> clutch died. I tried whacking on the starter but
> that didn't do anything. All I can think of is maybe
> I knocked something while trying to get the clutch
> cable to attach to the clutch?
>
> Assuming problem #1 is due to a clutch assembly
> failure, can I pull the clutch off my FF tranny and
> swap the whole assembly in? This car isn't worth a
> new clutch, but I was wondering if there was any 1
> time use bits.
>
> TIA,
> Dan

=====
ATS - Patrick Bureau - '85 3A/JH 2L 102.5 WHP Scirocco.
'86 8v White, '82 1.7L Carbed, '78 Gti 8v and '81 S Project.
Email: ats@longcoeur.com - Web: http://ats.longcoeur.com/
See what I am selling today on ebay: HTTP://tinyurl.com/22e5b