From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Dan
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 5:30 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Highest wattage H1/H4 bulbs?

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 11:08:01PM -0400, Ryan H wrote:
> Just got a Hella H1/H4 conversion kit, and I'm looking to dump the
> stock 60/85 watt bulbs in favor of brighter ones.  So are there any
> problems with running high wattage bulbs (I'm relayed)?  I'm looking
> into switching to 85/100 H4s and 100 H1s.  Good setup?  The fixtures are
> Hellas.   So will the fixtures take the extra heat?  They get hot as
> hell the way it is!

To be honest, I ran overwatt bulbs, with relays, for several years.  I
used NAPA house brand, manufactured by Phillips, in 80/100 watt.  I don't
think they were particularly brighter, but they did have a MUCH shorter
lifespan.  I now use Sylvania Xtravision 9003 bulbs... same as an H4, but
better manufacring tolerances.  I seem to have just as much light on the
road, and they last more than six months at a time.

Dan

 --
I have made good judgements in the past. I have made good judgements in
the future.

		-- Dan Quayle