gotta stop the rust

On a side note:  I have very little rust on my body (at least, visibly; the non-visible areas, I have no idea).  This rust only appears in areas where the paint has already been chipped away (rocks, etc.).  What's the best proceedure for remedying this?  I'd like to just get a new paint jod and take care of it all, but no $ for that.

Can anyone give me a run down of a cost effective way to take care of these spots (biggest: maybe .5" long and .25" wide)?

Thanks,
Mike
'86 red 16v (Red 5)

Marko <marquez337@yahoo.com> wrote:
I just went to a body shop. They wanted $1100 to fix
all the rusty spots on my rocco. Their plan was to cut
out the rusted body sections and weld in new metal. I
had a more bondo-oriented solution in mind. Whats a
good method of fixing these rusty areas. The driver's
door by the handle has a hole nearly rusted right
through. Is there any quick, dirty and cheap fix for
this that listers do ???

thanks

=====
87 Scirocco 8v
84 Jetta GLi 16v

word (wûrd)
interj. Slang. Used to express approval or an affirmative response to something. Sometimes used with up. Source