Technical foul: distributor+garden hose

"Question:  90 323 2dr hatchback 1600 mileage: 125000.  I recently
bought the car and it started and ran fine.  Then I washed out the
engine compartment with a hose.  Now the car will not start.  No spark.
  The distributor cap and wires are OK.  There is voltage at the
ignition coil and igniter.  The engine diagnostic code says 2 flashes -
my shop manual says this means "Distributor No signal" (sic).  What can
I do?

Answer:    Replace the distributor."

http://www.2carpros.com/makes/mazda/323.htm

This is not me but this happened to me this weekend.  I agreed to "look
at" a friend's mom's [grandma-type] car which had been dying at idle
randomly.  323 is a good hothatch and the 1.6 in it is very Rabbit-like
so I dig in.  Isn't it funny how often the throttle cable is all slack
on cars?  I should advertise 30% more hp on select vehicles FREE!

So I did that kind of thing and checked tune-up stuff and test drove it
and it ran well for a few short trips and didn't die and then POOF!
Nothing.  No starty-start.  OBD-I now says blink,blink "Distributor Ne
signal" error.  This apparently is Japanese for _N_umber of _E_ngine
revolutions and comes from the distributor Hall sender.

Interestingly, the PCM/ECU/brain shuts down the injectors when it sees
this.  Now spark plugs are not gas-wet in no-spark situations.
{Is Digifant that smart?  The later systems?  I am an A1 guy...}  The
Check Engine (yup! still there!) light would come on if it ran but it
didn't when I got it.  That means I broke it or it was a big
coincidence.  The only thing I could have done to break it was rinse off
some dust.  This engine had no grime and I was careful.

Now if you read this far and you hated me already from before, you can
just go, "Hunh, I knew he was a jerk and idiot."  But if you like
technical discussions you could answer me this:

*How does moisture screw up Hall effect (breaker-less) distributors?*

Does it short the gap between magnet and wheel thus frying internal
circuitry?  Everything else is enclosed within the sender on most all
cars.  I know many people recommend a plastic bag for garden hose
operations but all engine stuff basically lives in a wet environment
when it rains and I have hosed (funny, eh?) many engines with no ill
effects just by not pelting sensitive areas directly.

Feel free to share stories, elaborate technical explanations,
experiences, idiot confirmations, or the secret location of a '93 323
that no one is watching too closely.