best way to clean leather upholstery?

On Wed, 12 May 2004, C Boyko wrote:

> Okay, the answer is obvious. Open the windows, run the car. The diesel fumes
> should finish it off. (Seriously, I had a friend who lived under the
> flightline into Pearson, never had any black spot on his roses, he
> attributed it to the jet exhaust, jet fuel ain't that different than what
> Carrots runs on)

Regrettably the mildew would finish me off before the soot got to it... :)
They've had two days of sun and 25C temps to air out - they are improving.
I will probably give them a wipe with a rubbing alcohol solution and air
them for another week or two and see how they get along.

> But leather? You may want to talk to a tack shop, old saddles often get
> moldy. Worth a try, and not likley to harm the leather. Just a thought. Not
> sure if they'd have something that would penetrate deeply enough.

Yeah, apparently mold/mildew on leather is not that uncommon - and is not
necessarily a bad thing as it indicates that the leather still has
moisture in it...

I was about ready to throw in the towel and go back to cloth, but when I
was cleaning the underside I noticed that the fronts are heated.  Well hot
damn (literally)  won't that go real nice in Carrots - and I just happen
to have a few sets of relays and switches around.

Drew

--

84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD     http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd
89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant