[Project] Swing Out Rear Windows

So far I have been cruising the Parts Yards looking at retrofit donor cars.

So far I really like the Saab 900 Coupe (2dr) units;

Pros:

- Window glass is similar shape.

- Window is secured via full wrap frame; no holes in glass.

- Clasp closes into rubber type housing that looks like it will prevent
hooking via coat hanger and stray accidental catches by cargo.

- Retro fit looks capable without gross modifications to chassis or
overall 'profile'.

- Parts cost should be low.

- Donor is 'Euro', Maybe from same OEM supplier.

- Solution for the fact that rear side window rubber is now made from
Unobtainium.

Cons:

- It's a mod. Some may balk at modifying a stock Mk1.

- It'll need to be supportable down the road.

- It'll need to follow the K.I.S.S. principal.

- Headliner area around rear pillar will be affected, at least by clasp
fastener holes.

Questions:

- Can it be done to look 'stealth'?

- Can it be designed to avoid the thing falling out during hi G maneuvers?

Issues:

- Rubber gasket needs development. Possible to trim existing or 'stock'
replacement from a donor to use.

- Securing hinge ('piano' type) means altering chassis (making holes).

TBerk
Any one who wants to aid and assist is welcome.