Broke my clutch cable in Saturday Rush-hour traffic

Captnbr@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/10/2004 5:57:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> tberk@sbcglobal.net writes:
> 1) What was the country of origin & the name of manufacturer of the
> crappy cable?
>
> 1.  Hmmm, not sure on that one

The reason I ask is there are different qualities of cables out there.
This maybe one of the buy by quality, not price areas. I would think the
manual, being as it fit's Rabbits (Golf 1) and such are a dime a doz but
the self adjusting would be made by a lot fewer manufacturers.

This then might cut down on the chances of crappy product. It's feasible
the manuals can last, if chosen with this in mind.

> 2) Did you, or do you, grease up the cable with axle grease at all?
>
> 2.  Nope, never did.
>
> Brian 86 16v
> 98 Jetta GLX Vr6

I used (not axle but) bearing grease on my cables. Made em slippery
'smood' & haven't had a failure yet.  I was (am) concerned about the
grease allowing dust & grit to saw away at the sheath like sandpaper,
but this happens from the cable itself anyway.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else (those that haven't bit bucketed
me yet), have used grease on the cable.

TBerk