Broke my clutch cable in Saturday Rush-hour traffic

Captnbr@aol.com wrote:

> I had the crappy manual cable on the car.  It only lasted 2 years and
> if felt like crap.  When it broke I went back to the auto cable.  It
> feels a lot better, more smooth than the manual and lasts a lot longer
> too, this one is going on 5 years now.
>

> Brian 86 16v
> 98 Jetta GLX Vr6

Sounds like a good argument.

Funny thing, not realizing I've had a manually-adjustable cable in the
three years I've had the car (this month), I had assumed that it was an
auto cable like my old 16Vs, and never bothered to "manually" adjust it.
It had alway worked fine (albeit stiff). Come to think of it, I think my
old ones had a bright green boot on the cable, is this only true for the
auto cable, or are they all green?  Had never paid close enough
attention till now...

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
   '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L