Synthetic Oil weight ?

John Ringham wrote:
> Those of you that use synthetic oil, what weight do you use? I currently
> have Kendall GT 20 w 50 in my 2008 cc 8v. I want to switch to synthetic and
> have 5 w 30 Mobil 1 that I used in a different car? ( The oil is not used.
> It's extra left over) Can I use this weight in the Scirocco?
>
> John
> _____

Good stuff folks, esp Allyn the Sub Mariner.

Here is my one line reaction: It's be OK, but not optimal

I use the Red Top Mobil 1 myself (ran some Redline 20w50 one time but
not long enough to discern differences).

The Mobil One with the red top is indeed 15w50, a good value unless your
newer tech motor really calls for that 0w & 5w stuff.

5w30, esp with the upcoming warmer weather sounds a bit light for a VW
'old style' motor. (Ya want I should consult a manual fer ya?)

Here's one thing; you'd have no problem using it as top off oil, if you
indeed need to top off between oil changes.

Modern oils all mix together fine, (for the most part) just be clear-
I'm not advocating trying to blend for a certain target viscosity. I'm
saying a quart or less of whatever fresh oil is better than running low.

TBerk