more engine pulling Qs - Long Reply

I like to remove the head from the engine before
splitting the tranny from teh engine  so I have 3
lighter peices instead of 2 heavy ones, I have taken
my engines apart (and put back together in teh same
manner) because its easier.)

pictures of howe I hold engine , same nner I raise
tranny to it... simple, efficient and can be handled
by a one man army.

(http://ats.longcoeur.com/86%20project/images/033004/P3300196.JPG)

--- Dan Smith <sad_rocc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the info. The goal is to pull
> everything. A new motor will be dropped in, same
> tranny used, new electronics, etc. As it's a 1.7 and
> the bottom end is shot, it's all garbage. That's one
> of the reasons why I wouldn't have a problem pulling
> the head and letting the rest sit.
>
> Good to know I can roll it around without the tranny
> in place, I wasn't sure about that.
>
> >From your advice, I think I'll just keep
> disconnecting what I can until I get an assistant to
> help me drop the motor down. I was wondering about
> the weight of the head because it's just one more
> thing I can do now and it would make it a little
> easier to access some parts. The only thing is, I'm
> only 5'7" and about 145lbs so to be able to lift it
> up cleanly and pull it out without danger of
> whacking something could be a challenge.
>
> Now that I've decided to just ignore the AC
> compressor for now, it's becoming a lot more fun! I
> feel quite accomplished as the pile of parts behind
> my car grows as the engine bay opens more and more.
>
> One thing I did discover was that the pully wheel
> and whatever it's attached to below the alt (pretty
> much directly under it) is really bent sideways.
> What is it? I can take pics if needed.
>
> Dan
>
> T Berk <tberk@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> What it your ultimate goal?
>
> Lets assume it's total removal of the motor.
> (Including transaxle?)
>
> More to the point, you don't really care to much
> about salvage, or are
> at least getting the parts reconditioned prior to
> reinstall.
>
> If this is true the focus is on simple, sacrificing
> the motor for the
> chassis.
>
> If so then lets go with this:
>
> you can drop the motor (w/head) and transaxle out as
> one whole piece
> pretty easy.
>
> - The inner CV joints at the gearbox (most likely 12
> point)
>
> - The four motor mounts.
>
> - The intake & fuel plumbing.
>
> - The Ign. and sensor wires.
>
> - The exhaust manifold/downpipe. (Usually easier to
> undo the three bolts
> at the bend down below. The manifold can come off
> later.
>
> Leaving a lot of stuff on the motor means it might
> be easier to pull it
> out the top via winch or come-along.
>
> The more you take off, like the manifolds,
> transaxle*, etc makes it
> easier to drop the motor out the bottom. Ding it
> this way means raising
> the chassis up a little to clear the motor laying on
> it's back, but
> either way works.
>
> Taking the head off is a worthy thing if you don't
> cadre much about the
> motor. You can stuff rags in the cylinder holes to
> keep gack out.
>
> It doesn't really weigh much, I leave em on. Having
> it there provides
> [...]

=====
ATS - Patrick Bureau - '85 3A/JH 2L 102.5 WHP Scirocco.
'86 8v White, '82 1.7L Carbed,  '78 Gti 8v and  '81 S Project.
Email: ats@longcoeur.com - Web: http://ats.longcoeur.com/
See what I am selling today on ebay: HTTP://tinyurl.com/22e5b