how to find a body shop?

that's a good idea--soon after sending, i thought to call the vw/benz dealer
(they have to get it back to a factory finish, right?). i'll check w/ bmw
tomorrow...

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...

>From: Gordon Forbess <gforbess@attglobal.net>
>To: "Michael Abatzis" <abatzis2@hotmail.com>
>CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Re: how to find a body shop?
>Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 15:48:45 -0700
>
>On Tue, 04 May 2004 22:00:40 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >i need to find a body shop in new orleans.  haven't really been involved
>in
> >any car stuff down here, and the local autocross list barely has a pulse.
> >any ideas on how to find a good body shop? i called my ins co to see who
> >they recommend, but i suspect that's based more on cost than quality. do
>you
> >think it matters, as long as i get a guarantee on workmanship? thanks,
>
>Forget asking the insurance guys.. your instincts are correct about
>their motives.  If you want the best work, ask the Mercedes, BMW, or
>Porsche dealer where their cars are repaired.  These shops work to a
>different standard than the guys who bang out and bondo Chevys and
>Fords.  They expect their customers to be very picky.. and we are!
>
>I've waited three weeks to get our Benz coupe into European Auto Body
>in Escondido, CA. after a little old lady ran a light and smacked the
>front end for a couple thousand dollars in work.  When I took it in
>for them to estimate, their work in progress board showed about 15
>Mercedes, 5 BMWs, a Carrera 4, 2 Boxters, and one Jetta.  The Jetta
>owner obviously did his homework.
>

>Gordon
>
>75 Mk1/Drake 1.9
>http://pws.prserv.net/gforbess/scirocco/scirocco.htm

Mother’s Day is May 9. Make it special with great ideas from the Mother’s
Day Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04mothersday.armx