how to find a body shop?

On Tue, 04 May 2004 22:00:40 +0000, you wrote:

>i need to find a body shop in new orleans.  haven't really been involved in
>any car stuff down here, and the local autocross list barely has a pulse.
>any ideas on how to find a good body shop? i called my ins co to see who
>they recommend, but i suspect that's based more on cost than quality. do you
>think it matters, as long as i get a guarantee on workmanship? thanks,

Forget asking the insurance guys.. your instincts are correct about
their motives.  If you want the best work, ask the Mercedes, BMW, or
Porsche dealer where their cars are repaired.  These shops work to a
different standard than the guys who bang out and bondo Chevys and
Fords.  They expect their customers to be very picky.. and we are!

I've waited three weeks to get our Benz coupe into European Auto Body
in Escondido, CA. after a little old lady ran a light and smacked the
front end for a couple thousand dollars in work.  When I took it in
for them to estimate, their work in progress board showed about 15
Mercedes, 5 BMWs, a Carrera 4, 2 Boxters, and one Jetta.  The Jetta
owner obviously did his homework.

Gordon

75 Mk1/Drake 1.9