German Engineers I'd love to slap for $500, Alex!

I don't expect ANY car to crack a fuel line and spray fuel everywhere.  What
if that happened when I was driving?  That's pretty damn scary. We've
already seen one lister whose car burned to the ground.

| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |

Although no one can say for sure as to the exact cause, I think that the
fuel lines on top of the tank let go, and they found an ignition source with
the connection for the fuel pump in the tank just above the tank itself.  If
you lost fuel while driving down the road, not much would happen.  Even if
you drove over a cigarette, more than likely the only portion of fuel that
would ignite would be the fuel that landed on the ground, not the car
itself...  I have read a statistic in more than one source that stated car
wrecks do not end up in a fire but under 3% of the time.  I would bet you
dimes to donuts that that percentage is even lower while driving the car (IE
mechanical failure of some sort).  Don't misunderstand what I am trying to
say, a fuel leak can be dangerous, esp. when compared to a car without one.
However, the likelihood of you or your car going -kaboom--, is not nearly as
likely as it is on TV...

My .02

David Utley