Can't get the wheel off.

On Mon, 3 May 2004, C Boyko wrote:

> Force: Hammer is stage one (tried it, no good), grinder is a non option
> Heat: Likely not due to the fact that there are bearings, and the paint on
> the wheels (white GTIs)etc to consider.

Hit the centre and the lug holes with some penetrating oil then heat the
rim quickly with either a heat gun or a propane torch - don't stay to long
in one spot or you'll damage the finish.  The alloy will expand very
quickly and you'll be able to pop the wheel off.

> And Drew, thank you in advance for reminding me it isn't the POS and I
> should be thankful. Didn't take long eh?

It never does... :)

> ANY suggestions are appreciated. Oh, and what should I be slathering the
> offending surfaces with to prevent future similar incidents?

I use chassis lube (good old fashioned axle grease - although it happens
to be the high tech stuff in the grease gun for the farm implements.)
Anti-seize works well - but it also helps to clean the hub centre of the
wheel with a rotating brush - I use a nylon one on my die grinder.  That
and a bit of grease and I generally don't have problems with wheels
sticking on any more.

Drew

84 Wolfsburg Edition TurboDiesel Scirocco
	http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd
89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant
94 A3 Golf GL TurboDiesel
99 A3 Jetta GL TDI