From: Ron Pieper <rapieper@yahoo.com>
Sent: Mar 29, 2004 12:55 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org, Al Malventano <amalventano@sc.rr.com>,
	Brian McGarvey <brianm@earendel.org>,
	Ben Harder <vwtype53@yahoo.com>, Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>,
	Anson Clement <ansonivan@hotmail.com>,
	Josh Conner <joshuaa.conner@verizonwireless.com>
Subject: WE HAVE IGNITION...

IT RUNS.

Well, it starts and idles anyway.  My now long-term project (MkI, 2.0L 16V w/ Megasquirt) took a
major step forward today - had the day off so I finally wired up a few more sensors, drilled and
tapped for a manifold vacuum tap, screwed some plugs in and fired her up.  Kicked over almost on
the first crank, but huge vacuum leaks through unplugged ports prevented that.  After remedying
that with electrical tape, a quick twist of the dizz, a press of the button, a puff of smoke and
...braa-aa-aa-aap... the normally sedate neigbhorhood is filled with the happy sound of a long
dormant 9A happily outgassing through open pipes.  Music, I tell ya, schweeeeet music.

But...no coolant, so off it goes, have to wire up coolant temp sender, rig up a fast idle solenoid
(I have a CIS thermostatically controlled one, but nowhere to mount it), and an O2 sensor.

Then the head comes off to find out why the oil leak.  And the wacky compression test results.
Shite.

But, hey, as they say in Ireland, happy days!

Whew.

Ron

Don Walter - Waukesha, WI
1986 2L 16V Toronado Red Scirocco (under repair)
1988 1.8 16V Toronado Red Scirocco (for sale)
1986 1.8 16V Black Scirocco (my new ride)